Find out more about COVID-19 and the help available to residents and businesses here

Find out more about COVID-19 and the help available to residents and businesses here

A national lockdown is currently in place, meaning you must stay at home except for the reasons set out. The full guidance document can be read on the central government website, but the main exceptions are as follows:

  • Shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
  • Go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
  • Exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • Meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
  • Seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
  • Attend education or childcare - for those eligible

Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term. Early Years settings remain open.

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live. You may leave your local area for a legally permitted reason, such as for work.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work.

You must wear a face covering in many indoor settings, such as shops or places of worship where these remain open, and on public transport, unless you are exempt. This is the law. Read guidance on face coverings.

Dedicated COVID-19 helpline

We've set up a local dedicated COVID-19 helpline and email for residents. Email or call 01303 761116 to:

✔️ Find out about help and assistance available locally and get signposted to national support     

✔️ Feed back helpful information or concerns about your community or individuals

✔️ The helpline is open 9am - 5pm seven days a week.

Community hubs

We have set up a network of three community hubs to support vulnerable residents during this challenging time.

These hubs, funded by Folkestone & Hythe District Council, are working with voluntary organisations to ensure that community help is delivered to those who it most. 

Visit our community hubs page to find out more.

Advice and support for businesses

The Local Restrictions Support Grant - funded by central government and administered by Folkestone & Hythe District Council (F&HDC) - is available to those in the Folkestone & Hythe district that are:

◼️ Liable for business rates, and

◼️ Were open as usual and providing in-person services from the business premises the day before lockdown was imposed, and

◼️ Required to close by law

If you meet the criteria and wish to claim the Local Restrictions Support Grant, please visit to complete the application form.

Businesses which have been adversely impacted by the pandemic but do not meet the criteria may qualify for an Additional Restrictions Grant.

These grants - also funded by central government and administered by F&HDC - will be awarded as per the guidance set out by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

The criteria includes businesses:

◼️ Forced to closed but are not covered under the Local Restrictions Support Grant

◼️ Significantly impacted (at least a 25% impact evidenced) and incurred fixed business costs that cannot be cancelled during the lockdown

To apply for the Folkestone & Hythe Additional Restrictions Grant, please visit for more information.

We also have a section of our website dedicated to advice and support for the district's business.

Financial support for residents

If you are facing financial difficulties please get in touch with us and we can guide you through your options and assess whether you are eligible for any of the discretionary support schemes which have been set up by the government.

Paying rent

During the COVID-19 outbreak, council tenants should continue to pay rent and abide by all other terms of their tenancy agreement.

If your ability to pay your rent as normal is affected, it's important to have a conversation with us as soon as possible so we can help you find a solution.

COVID-19 rates in Folkestone & Hythe

Kent County Council is publishing the latest case numbers for all of Kent's districts, including Folkestone & Hythe, on its website throughout the lockdown period:

More information

Extra details about COVID-19 and the measures in place can be found on the Coronavirus section of our website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page