We are sorry for the issues some residents are experiencing with their waste collections. Report a missed bin here.

Which repairs am I responsible for?

Before you contact us to report a repair please check which repairs we do and which repairs you are responsible for. The table below shows a summary of responsibilities for you and the Council.

Please check first to if your repair is an emergency - To check to see if your repair is an emergency and to see response times please click on the link   - Emergency Repairs.

Tenant and Council repair responsibilities
Tenant repair responsibilities                                      Council repair responsibilities
Keeping your home clean and tidy and well decorated     Looking after the structure of your home, repairing and maintaining the structure 
Ensuring that drains and external gullies (except in shared areas to flats) are kept clearCarrying out an annual Gas Safety check and service of every gas or solid fuel heating system
That nothing is put down toilets, bath & sink drains that should not be and causes a blockageThe outside of your home - including chimneys, roofs, drains, gutters, outside pipes, outside doors and windows, including their frames, external decoration
Keeping the garden and dividing fences, walls and hedges in good conditionSome parts inside your home - including plaster work (excluding minor surface cracks), internal plumbing, power and lighting, carpentry such as floors and stairs (but not kitchen / bathroom units or cupboards).
Putting your rubbish out regularly and securely, on the day of the bin collection

The area around your home - this covers the front path or steps leading to your home and any shared areas of the building your home may be part of.

Repairing, at your own cost, any damage caused by you, your family or visitorsMaintain communal door entry systems, communal TV/satellite systems, lifts, stairwells, windows and doors, if you live in a flat.

Reporting all repairs the Council are responsible for promptly


Only making alterations with the Council's permission 

Icon for pdf Tenant Repair Responsibilities [232.57KB]

How to report a repair

Household and communal repairs

Please telephone the Mears call centre on 0800 313 4740.

Gas, hot water and central heating repairs

Please email Gas Call Services at eastkent@gascall.co.uk or telephone 0800 012 9958.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page