Toggle menu

A range of support measures are in place to help our residents. These include council tax reduction, financial support and community hubs.

Financial support for residents

Support is available for residents facing financial difficulties.

This council tax, benefits and budget calculator can help you work out your personal budget, and how a change in circumstances can affect your personal budget and entitlement to benefits. 

If you are facing financial difficulties please get in touch with us and we can guide you through your options and assess whether you are eligible for any of the discretionary support schemes which have been set up by the government. 

Help to keep warm this winter

You could get help with your electricity bill for winter 2021-22 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get help with your heating bills through the Winter Fuel Payment.

You may get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over seven days. The Cold Weather Payment scheme starts on 1 November 2021.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs and rental payments.

Housing Benefit

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you are of state pension age, receive severe disability benefit, are in exempt accommodation or are in temporary accommodation placed by the council. 

Council Tax Reduction

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction (also known as Council Tax Support) if you get Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, the 'Guaranteed Credit' part of Pension Credit, Tax Credits, Universal Credit, or if you are working and have a low income.

Financial Support Payment

You can apply for Financial Support Payment if you already receive Council Tax Reduction.

Discretionary Housing Payment

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment if you're already getting Universal Credit with a housing element or Housing Benefit.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email