We are sorry for the issues some residents are experiencing with their waste collections. Report a missed bin here.

Pavement licences

You can apply for a pavement licence if you want to put tables, chairs or other moveable furniture on the highway adjacent to a premises used for sale of food and drink.

The furniture can be used for the sale /  service of food and drink or to provide seating for people to eat and drink.

This is a temporary licensing arrangement to support the reopening of business during the Covid 19 pandemic.

Before you start

  • The premises to which the use of the licence relates must be a pub, bar, restaurant or other premises used for the sale of food or drink.
  • Please check our standard conditions applicable to licences. These include conditions relating to access, disability requirements and no-smoking provision based on requirements of the Act and associated guidance. If your proposals can not meet the conditions, the application will be refused.
  • We will not grant licences before 7am or after 10pm for noise disturbance reasons.

If you have a valid licence with Kent County Council to put tables and chairs on the highway, you do not need to hold a pavement licence as well.

How long do licences last?

  • New licences will be issued for up to 6 months.
  • On renewal, licences will be issued for the period until 30 September 2021.

Note: As this is a temporary licensing arrangement. All licences must end on 30 September 2021 even if a longer expiry date is shown on the licence.

How much does it cost?

  • New applications will be charged £100.
  • Renewal applications submitted at least 14 days prior to expiry of the initial licence will incur no fee.

"Renewal" applications not submitted in time will be treated as a new application.

How to apply            

  • Complete and return the application form together with the relevant fee.
  • You can pay by credit or debit card by calling 01303 853660
  • Your application must also include a detailed plan with your application showing the proposed location of the area to be used and relevant dimensions.
  • Applications must be submitted by email to licensing@folkestone-hythe.gov.uk

Paper applications are not valid and will not be processed.

Publicising your application

  •  You must display the site notice at the premises for 5 working days, starting the day after the Licensing Team tell you that they have received everything they need from you and your application is going out for public consultation. This tells people about your proposal and enables them to make representations if they wish.
  • We will also put details of your application on our website. We will consult with other agencies, including the Highways Authority.

 What happens next?

  • At the end of the consultation period we will make a decision whether to grant or refuse a licence.
  • We will notify you of the decision within 5 working days of the end of the consultation period.
  • If you do not hear from us within that time, your application is considered granted.
  • There is no formal appeal process if applications are refused. 

All licences are subject to our standard conditions. Failure to comply with conditions may result in revocation of the licence.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page