Street naming and numbering
Individuals and developers must not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names; you must apply through us
Street naming and numbering application
Use this service when you are:
- naming a new road or existing unnamed street
- creating new addresses eg new properties, commercial units, property conversions, divisions
- changing your house name
- formally adding a house name to your numbered property
- renaming an existing street
Check the fees
Before you start
- you will need to provide up to three proposals for the new property name
- you will need to pay the correct fee together with location plans of all properties, showing door accesses where appropriate, for an application to be valid
- you will be asked to log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) and then complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7
If a property is already numbered, the number cannot be altered.
What happens next?
- the property will be located and the name checked for suitability and similarity to existing street names
- the property name will be changed on our system and Royal Mail will be informed. They will notify us when their system is updated
- we will email you to confirm your new registered address and notify major organisations eg NHS, Southern Water
You should not display the new name until you have received written confirmation from us.
Apply for a new address
Apply to change your address