Do I need building regulation approval?

Certain building works that you do at home or at work will need to comply with minimal standards set down by law. For these works you'll need building regulations approval to show they meet these standards

A completion certificate will be issued when all stages have been inspected and meet regulations. This is an important document, as it tells you that the work meets the minimum requirements of the building regulations. The certificate will be required if or when you come to sell your property, or if you raise a secured loan or mortgage against your property.

You could be fined or required to pay to get the work re-done if non-compliant work is discovered.

Note that building regulations approval is different from planning permission and you may need both.

When do need I approval?

Building regulations cover the construction and extension of buildings. You may also need approval for alterations such as:

  • electrical work
  • installing a bathroom
  • replacing windows and doors
  • replacing roof coverings
  • installing or replacing a heating system and boiler
  • putting in a fixed air-conditioning system

Common domestic projects

The following guide has been written to provide advice on projects such as extensions, loft conversions, garage conversions, domestic cellar conversions and other alterations.

Extending your home (PDF, 4.16MB)

Electrical works

Any electrical works should be carried out by a Part P registered competent electrician who will self-certify their work.

You can find a registered electrician in the Competent persons register

Planning Portal interactive house 

Use the Planning Portal Interactive House to see if the works require building regulations approval, or contact us if you need any additional help.

Planning Portal common projects

The Planning Portal provides guides for many common household projects explaining if you'll need to make a building regulations application.

When you won't need approval

You don't need approval if the works are exempt or if you're using someone who is on the Competent person register to do the work.

You also don't need approval for most repairs, replacements, and maintenance work.

How much does it cost?

Download the current building control fees below.

Application fee submissions for all types of applications and notices include the site inspection service.

Building control fees

Get a quote for building control 

Subject to request, an individually determined fee quotation can be provided for works not represented in the schedule.

You can request a quote using the link to the form below. Initially you will be asked to create a MyAccount (if you don't already have one) which will enable you to track progress of your application.

Request a quote for building control

LABC: Local Authority Building Control