A building notice cannot be submitted where
a) you are building over or within 3m of a public sewer, or
b) where a Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) 2005 Order applies
How does it work?
With a building notice, you don't need to get formal approval as with full plans, but you and your builder need to be competent in dealing with works that meet building regulations.
You can start work two days after you submit your notice.
What information do I need to provide with my application?
- contact details
- location and description of the proposed work
- payment reference number (the application form contains a link to the online payment utility)
- copies of documents relating to your application
What documents do I need to upload?
You need to submit:
- a site location plan (1:1250) unless the work is only internal
- drawings (if available)
- Structural design calculations (if applicable)
What file types can I upload?
Please note that there is a 5MB size limit on all files that can be attached.
Accepted files types are:
- Images (jpeg, gif, png)
Can I take pictures of my documents using my smart phone?
Yes. If you take an image with your smart phone or tablet please ensure that documents are saved as one of the accepted file types above.
How to apply
- you will need to log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7
- complete the application form
- pay the appropriate fee