Regularisation application

What is regularisation?

Regularisation is retrospective approval for work that has already been undertaken without consent. This is often picked up during the sale of a property when solicitors ask for a completion certificate.

Your works may need to be uncovered for inspection if you apply for approval retrospectively.

Many people find it hard to sell a house where works were done without approval. The most common projects done without approval are:

  • loft conversion
  • structural alterations eg removal of a chimney breast
  • re-roofing
  • electrical works

Note that there is a possibility of legal action if a regularisation certificate is not obtained.

What information do I need to provide with my application?

  • contact details
  • location and description of the work
  • payment reference number (the application form contains a link to the online payment utility)
  • copies of documents relating to your application

What documents do I need to upload?

You need to submit:

  • a plan of the works that were done and how the layout was before
  • any additional plans or details showing how you'll bring the works up to regulation standard

What file types can I upload?

Please note that there is a 5MB size limit on all files that can be attached.

Accepted files types are:

  • Images (jpeg, gif, png)
  • PDF
  • TIF

Can I take pictures of my documents using my smart phone?

Yes. If you take an image with your smart phone or tablet please ensure that documents are saved as one of the accepted file types above.

Will it be necessary to expose elements of the construction for inspection?

In some cases, yes. 

  • Foundations and other elements may need to be inspected.
  • For loft conversions and other structural alterations it may be necessary to submit a structural report from a structural engineer.

How to apply

  •  you will need to log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7
  • complete the application form
  • pay the appropriate fee

Start your regularisation application 

LABC: Local Authority Building Control