Pay by Direct Debit
Direct Debit is the safest and easiest way to pay your council tax. Direct Debit will ensure that payments are made on time and for the right amount so you never forget to pay your bill
You don't need to renew your Direct Debit every year. Once you've set it up, it continues until you cancel it or payments are returned unpaid by your bank.
What you need to set up a Direct Debit
To set up Direct Debit you need to:
- have been issued a council tax bill
- have a council tax account number
- be authorised to set up Direct Debit payments from the bank account
How to apply
- click the button below titled "Apply to pay by Direct Debit"
- select "Set up a new Direct Debit" from the main screen (or if you are looking to amend a current Direct Debit select "Amend an existing Direct Debit")
- complete the form with the relevant details and submit
You will need to provide, when completing the form, your council tax account number and your bank details including:
- name(s) of account holder(s)
- account number
- sort code
- bank or building society address
Your bank will need 10 working days to set up the Direct Debit. When you are completing the form, if there are fewer than 10 working days until the next payment, the next payment may not be until the subsequent instalment date and therefore instalments may be larger.
How it works
Your Direct Debit will create instalments for your council tax bill (it won't cover amounts due under enforcement action). You can choose which day of the month you would like the instalments to be taken, either the 1st, 8th, 16th, or 26th.
Payments in a full financial year may be made over 10 or 12 months, however fewer instalments will be given if you set up Direct Debit later in the financial year.
If you have an existing Direct Debit in place, any new details submitted for the same account will replace the existing instruction.
What happens next?
Once the application is complete it will be processed and confirmation sent to you.
Did you know that you can receive your council tax bill via email. To sign up for electronic billing visit set up electronic billing