Power or water cuts

Information on what to do if you experience a power or water cut.

What to do in a power cut

If you're experiencing a power cut phone 105. It's free of charge and will put you through to your local network operator who will give you help and advice

Anyone experiencing a power cut should:

On calling 105 this will enable you to report or get information about power cuts as well as report damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put you, or someone else, in danger. If you see electricity lines that are causing significant risk to the public you should call 999 immediately.

What to do if your water supply is cut off

If your water supply fails or if your whole area has lost its water, your supplier has to provide alternative sources. This could be bottled water, stand-pipes or tankers. Ring your supplier's emergency line for information.

Useful links

Power cut 105