Food complaints

  • We only investigate food safety matters that we consider present a significant public health risk
  • We can investigate complaints about unhygienic food premises in the district and food that has been sold in the district, eg mouldy food, or food containing foreign matter
  • We do not deal with complaints relating to food that is incorrectly labelled eg allergy information, incorrect descriptions, misleading packaging, is not of the declared weight, or is of poor quality

Please contact Trading Standards via the citizens advice consumer service (cacs) on 03454 040506.

We are unable to deal with anonymous complaints, however your personal details will be kept in the strictest confidence.

How to report

You will need to:

Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7

Report a food complaint