Temporary event notice (TEN)

You must apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to sell or supply alcohol at a small-scale event, eg for a school or charity, or if your event will include other licensable activities.

Before you start

  • you must apply at least 10 working days before the event.
  • you must be at least 18 year's old
  • your event must last for no more than 168 hours (7 days) and have fewer than 500 people at all times (including people running the event). If you expect more you'll need to apply for a premises licence or a club certificate.

Number of notices you can apply for

  • you need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises
  • you can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year
  • a single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • if you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them

How much it costs


How to apply


You can apply and pay online via GOV.UK. They'll pass your application to us for processing.

Apply for a temporary event notice (TEN)

By post

Download, complete, and return the application form with payment to the addresses shown on the form.

pdf icon Apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) [230kb]

You can also pay by credit or debit card by calling us on 01303 858660.

Late TENs

The latest you can apply for a late TEN is 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).


  • if you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year
  • if you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10
  • late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs

What happens next?

We'll confirm your notice by post or email, which you must sign yourself and have available at your event.

Can a TEN be refused?

Yes, if the police or Environmental Health raise objections relating to the licensing objectives.

If there's an objection, we'll organise a hearing no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed) where we'll either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.


If you disagree with our decision, you can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.