The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020, which apply to owners and licence holders of residential caravan sites.
The purpose of the legislation is to improve the standards of park home site management, by introducing an assessment to ensure that the person responsible for managing the site is suitable and of good character, and as such does not pose a risk to the welfare or safety of persons occupying mobile homes on the site.
The requirement for the person responsible for managing the site to be a fit and proper person is in addition to the requirement for a site to be licensed.
The fit and proper person requirement will make it an offence for a site licence holder to operate a park home site unless they, or their appointed manager, are a fit and proper person to do so. Under some circumstances we have the power to appoint a fit and proper person to manage the site, with the owner's consent.
How to apply
You can apply and make payment using the link below. Initially, you will be asked to create a MyAccount (if you don't already have one).
Application for entry on the fit and proper person register
How much does it cost?
Application for entry on the fit and proper person register: £203.00.
Now that the introductory period is over, existing site owners must apply again if the circumstances relating to the nominated fit and proper person change in relation to an existing caravan site; for example:
- transfer of site licence
- change in management of the site
- removal of a person from the register by the local authority
In such cases, you will have 3 months to make a new application, so long as the change in circumstances has been notified to us within 28 days.
A site is exempt from the requirement for a fit and proper person if it is "a non-commercial family occupied site". This is a site only occupied by members of the same family and not being run on a commercial basis. See the GOV.UK - legislation website for more details.
What we will consider
To be sure that the relevant person is a fit and proper person to manage the site, and to add them to the register, we will consider:
- the owner's past compliance with the site licence
- the long term maintenance of the site
- whether the person has a sufficient level of competence to manage a site
- the management structure and funding arrangements for the site or proposed management structure and funding arrangements
We also consider whether the relevant person:
- has the right to work within the UK
- has committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, violence, arson or drugs or listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (offences attracting notification requirements)
- has contravened any provision of the law relating to housing, caravan sites, mobile homes, public health, planning or environmental health or of landlord and tenant law
- has contravened any provision of the Equality Act 2010 in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
- has harassed any person in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
- has had an application rejected by any other local authority is or has been personally insolvent within the past 10 years
- is or has been disqualified from acting as a company director within the last 10 years
We also may consider the conduct of any person associated or formerly associated with the relevant person (whether on a personal, work or other basis), if it appears that the person's conduct is relevant. We can also consider any evidence on any other relevant matters.