Sell a vehicle on the road

If you wish to sell your a vehicle on the road you need to apply for consent

Before you apply

  • the vehicle can only be offered for sale outside the registered keeper's address
  • you may not advertise your vehicle for sale until you have received consent, which must be clearly displayed at all times
  • the vehicle must be taxed and have a current MOT if over 3 year's old

Please note, there are certain streets where pdf icon trading is prohibited [179kb]. Also, failure to gain consent is an offence which could lead to fine of up to £1,000. It is also an offence to sell vehicles on the highway as a business.

How much it costs

There is no charge for the consent which can be granted for a period of up to 6 weeks.

How to apply

Use th button below to launch the form to apply for consent to sell you vehicle

Apply for consent to sell your vehicle

What else do I need to provide with my application?

You will need to supply:

  • the current vehicle insurance; and,
  • the vehicle V5/V5C in your name and address with the application.

If you have any difficulties completing this form please contact us.