Temporary event notice (TEN) application

At a small-scale event, you can use a temporary event notice (TEN) to conduct licensable activities. The venue may not have a premises licence or club premises certificate, or the existing licence does not cover the activities or times at which the event will take place.

Please note: A TEN does not relieve the premises user from any requirements under planning law for appropriate planning permission where it is required.

Before you start

  • For advice on whether a licence will be necessary for your event and how to apply for it please contact the licensing team at licensing@folkestone-hythe.gov.uk
  • You must be over 18 years old to apply for a TEN
  • The event must last for no more than 168 hours (7 days) and have fewer than 500 people at all times (including people running the event). Otherwise you will need a premise licence or a club premises certificate.
  • You will need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises

Types of TEN and restrictions

  • A Standard TEN is given at least 10 clear working days before the event
  • A Late TEN is given at least 5 clear working days before the event. (Please note, clear working days do not include the day we receive your application or the day of the event.)
  • You can submit 5 TENs per year (no more than 2 can be Late TENs). However if you are a personal licence holder, you can submit 50 TENs per year (no more than 10 can be Late TENs)
  • A single premises can have up to 15 TENs in one year. The combined total length of events must not be more than 21 days
  • TENs cannot run consecutively. You must have a 24 hour gap between TENs

How much it costs


How to apply

You will need to

Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7.

  • complete the application form
  • pay the appropriate fee

Apply for a temporary event notice

A copy of the temporary event notice will be sent to the Police on your behalf. A copy of the acknowledged temporary event notice will be emailed to you after submission and payment of fee is received.

What happens next?

We'll confirm your notice by the end of the next working day. A copy of the notice must be available at the event.

Can a TEN be refused?

Yes, if the police or environmental health raise objections relating to the licensing objectives. 

If there's an objection, we'll organise a hearing of a licensing sub-committee no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed).  At the hearing, the committee will approve the notice, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN, the notice will not be valid and you cannot hold the event.


If you disagree with our decision, you can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.