Work on EV charging points is completed

Published: 1 February 2023

An image of EV charging points

All the district's new 103 charging points for electric vehicles (EV) are now up and running.

These are in 26 car parks across Folkestone & Hythe and - with the upgrade of the six existing points and the 23 charging points provided by commercial businesses - EV owners now have a greater choice and more flexibility.

Folkestone & Hythe District Council partnered with Kent County Council and five other local authorities for the roll out, resulting in one of the largest networks of consistent charging points (with 600 points being installed).

The new points were installed by Connected Kerb, one of the UK's biggest providers. They offer a mixture of fast 7kW and 22kW, depending on the location.

KCC provided 75% of the funding, with Connected Kerb funding the remaining 25%. The other five authorities are Gravesham Borough Council, Medway Council, Sevenoaks District Council, Thanet District Council, and Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council.

Cllr Lesley Whybrow, Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: "The installation is part of our pledge to reduce carbon emissions across the district and I am delighted all the new charging points are now working."

Cllr Ray Field, Cabinet Member for Transport and Digital Transformation, said: "This is welcome news for drivers of electric vehicles who now know that they can easily charge their battery at virtually any car park in the district."

Leader Cllr David Monk added: "The ease at which charging points can now be found and used will hopefully encourage more people to switch to electric vehicles."

Go to to find out how the charging points work.