Responsibilities at a glance

Rented property standards - tenant and landlord responsibilities

The basics


  • Keep the property in good order
  • Report any disrepair to the landlord as soon as it is possible


  • Respond to reasonable requests for repair in an appropriate timeframe

Both tenants and landlords can contact the Private Sector Housing team for further help and advice.

I am suffering from poor housing conditions

If you have reported issues such as damp, disrepair, or dangerous installations and the landlord or agent is not responding or refuses to carry out works, you can contact the Private Sector Housing team to request an inspection of the property. 

They will investigate any hazards found and liaise with your landlord or agent to help get the necessary repairs or improvements made.

How to request an inspection

You will need to

Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7

Request an inspection

What if I'm on the council's housing list?

You will need to report any housing conditions issues to the Housing Options team as well as contacting the Private Sector Housing team. This is so that they can accurately assess your banding for bidding on properties. 

In some circumstances, the disrepair or poor conditions of your home may affect the banding you have been given. Banding recommendations will only be given by the Private Sector Housing Officer if the landlord, after being given the opportunity to remedy any hazards, is either taking too long or is refusing to do so. 

At the point at which enforcement action has to be taken by Private Sector Housing, a banding recommendation may be made to Housing Options