Personal licence to sell alcohol application

A person named as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) on a premises licence must hold a personal licence.

Who can be a personal licence holder

You can apply if you:

  • are 18 years old or over
  • have a licensing qualification from an accredited provider (For more information on Accredited personal licence qualification providers please visit

You can't apply if you:

  • have given up a personal licence in the last 5 years
  • have had a previous application rejected as a result of an objection by the police

How much is costs

Personal licence to sell alcohol £37

How to apply

You will need to

Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7.

  • Complete the application form
  • Pay the appropriate fee

What do I need to submit with my application?

  • countersigned passport style photo
  • your Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders
  • payment
  • completed Disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form
  • a proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom
  • a basic disclosure certificate must be obtained and dated within one month of your application. Further information on how to apply for a DBS check can be found on GOV.UK: DBS basic checks.

Apply for a personl licence to sell alcohol

What happens next?

We'll get in touch if we need any additional information, otherwise we'll process your application in 5 clear working days.

Tell us about any changes

For your licence to remain valid you must tell us if you change your name or address, or if you are convicted of a relevant offence either during the application period or once your licence is granted.