Housing benefit for students

Part-time students

As a part-time student you can claim Housing Benefit in the same way as anyone else, as long as you are eligible.

Full-time students

You can only claim housing benefit as a full-time student if you receive or are one of the following:

  • you get Income Support
  • you get income-based Jobseekers Allowance 
  • you get income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • you're classed as disabled
  • you're a pensioner
  • you're classed as incapable of work for benefit purposes
  • you're in a couple where both members are students and you have at least one dependent child living with you
  • you foster a child
  • you're under 19 and not in higher education

You'll need to give details of your student income and provide an original valid student certificate (not a photocopy).

What we take into account to calculate your housing benefit

  • any maintenance loan you're entitled to - even if you choose not to take it out
  • Adult Dependents Grant
  • Maintenance Grant
  • bursaries unrelated to course or childcare costs
  • most Access to Learning Fund payments that help with your general living costs

We don't take into account

  • Higher Education Grant
  • Tuition Fee Loan
  • Childcare Grant
  • Parents Learning Allowance
  • Access to Learning Fund payments that aren't for general living costs
  • Special Support Grant
  • Bursaries that are for course-related or childcare costs

To find out what help you can get use the link below

Benefit & budgeting calculator 

Apply for housing benefit

Use the link below to apply for Housing Benefit

Apply for housing benefit