Housing benefit application

Do I qualify for housing benefit?

You will not be able to make a new claim for housing benefit unless you;

  • and your partner have both reached state pension age
  • are in exempt accommodation (you will need to claim Universal Credit for living costs but you may also get some help from Folkestone & Hythe District Council with your rent)
  • are in temporary accommodation placed by the council (you will need to claim Universal Credit for living costs but you may also get some help from Folkestone & Hythe District Council with your rent)

If you fall into one of the exempt categories above you can apply for housing benefit. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get housing benefit.

If you do not fall into one of these categories you must claim Universal Credit for help with housing costs.

Apply for Universal Credit

To find out what help you can get use the benefit & budgeting calculator via the link below

What help can I get?

Who isn't eligible for housing benefit?

Usually you won't get housing benefit if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the 'Guarantee Credit' part of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you're a full-time student - unless you're disabled or have children
  • you're an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK

What information do I need to complete this form?

  • if you are eligible to apply for housing benefit click on the "Apply for Housing Benefit" button below
  • complete the appropriate application form, making sure you have:
    • your claim reference number and council tax account number (if known)
    • the names of all adults living at the address and their national insurance numbers and employment details
    • details of your living arrangements including how much rent you are charged, tenancy start date and landlord details
    • details of any benefits you receive
    • details of any other income, for example from self-employment or a pension
    • details of all bank, building society and savings accounts, including account details and amounts held

You can also use this form to apply for Council Tax Reduction at the same time.

Apply for Housing Benefit

During the completion of the form you will be able to upload any evidence, if requested. However if you are unable to upload at the time of completion you can submit this evidence via the link below but please do this as soon as possible as your claim won't be fully processed until all information is submitted.

Submitting your evidence

Once you submit the online form, if you have given your email address (and haven't uploaded your evidence already) you will be emailed a list of any evidence required to process your application. You can use the button below to submit your evidence.

Submit your evidence

What happens next?

Once we receive your application, and all the required supporting information, you will be notified within 17 days of a decision. We'll normally start paying your benefit from the Monday after your claim has been processed. If we require any further information you will be contacted. Click the link to find out how we pay your housing benefit;

Appealing a decision

You can appeal a decision regarding a Housing Benefit claim if you think it's wrong. We will respond within two months.

Appeal a housing benefit decision

Cancelling your housing benefit

If you wish to cancel your housing benefit, click the button below. You will need your claim reference number. You can also use this form to cancel your council tax reduction at the same time.

Cancel your housing benefit