Housing benefit overpayment

Why would receive an overpayment?

There are several different reasons that cause an overpayment.

Typically, it is when your circumstances have changed that has led to reduction in the amount of benefit you are entitled to but has already been paid.

How to pay

There are variety of ways to pay your overpayment.

The simplest and quickest way is to pay online by using the button below

Pay housing benefit overpayment

Or by using the automated telephone line which operates 24 hours day - 01303 853394 - using your housing benefit overpayment reference. You also have the option of paying by direct debit or by standing order as well as using the bar code on the invoice at Post Office or other designated shops or outlets showing the PayPoint sign.

Please allow up to four days for the payment to be received by us.

How do we know who to recover an overpayment from?

When we see that you have been overpaid, we look at the reason for this and who the benefit is paid to.

For example, if your benefit is paid to your landlord, but you have started work, your landlord may not know this. So if you forget to tell us of this change and your landlord is paid too much, we may recover the overpayment from you. However if you move out, your landlord would be likely to know this. So if your landlord was paid too much, we may recover it from them.

Each case is assessed on its own merit. If you disagree with any aspect of your overpayment or how it is being recovered you must contact us.

How do we recover overpayments?

We recover overpayments differently, depending on who we are recovering it from. If it is being recovered from you - we will look at whether or not you are still entitled to benefits.

Normally, if you are still entitled to housing benefit, we will reduce the amount of benefit we pay you by either:

  • taking money from your ongoing benefit
  • reducing any other amount we owe you
  • we can discuss the amount we reduce your benefit by if this is causing any further financial hardship

If you no longer receive benefit, or receive benefit from another council, we will send you bill for any overpayment outstanding.

We may ask your employer to deduct overpayments from your pay. This is called Direct Earnings Attachment (DEA) 

DEA guide for employers

If you don't agree with the overpayment

If you feel the overpayment is not correct then you can appeal the decision. You must contact us within 1 month of when you get the letter telling you about our decision.

Appeal housing benefit decision

If you can't afford the repayments

Contact the overpayments team on 01303 853 223 to discuss paying at rate you can afford.