Council tax refund

If you have overpaid council tax or your circumstances have changed meaning your account is in credit, you may be able to get a refund. We'll check your council tax account and any other outstanding payments before giving a refund.

How to apply

  • click on the apply button above, log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the apply for a council tax refund form. If you are already logged into your MyAccount the form will automatically open
  • complete the relevant questions on the form and submit
  • MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7. For information about MyAccount visit the find out more page.

You will need to

  • tell us your council tax account number
  • specify the amount you are requesting
  • select if you have another council tax account in the Folkestone & Hythe District and would like the credit transferred, and where applicable, provide the details
  • provide your bank details

Apply for a council tax refund

Information for executors

If you are a legally appointed executor please use the link below to apply for a council tax refund.

Executors application for council tax refund

What happens next?

Once your application has been submitted and processed you will be notified of the outcome. Please note that the council tax team may need to contact you if they have any queries regarding your request.