Severely mentally impaired people (SMI)

Who can apply?

If everyone living in the property is severely mentally impaired or if someone living with you is severely mentally impaired and you are the only other adult living in the property then you are eligible to apply.

To qualify as severely mentally impaired for this purpose, a person must be:

  • Confirmed as severely mentally impaired by a registered medical practitioner
  • Entitled to one of the following qualifying benefits:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • the high or mid rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
    • Incapacity Benefit
    • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support (which includes a disability premium)
    • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Unemployability Supplement
    • Unemployability Allowance 
    • Universal Credit (that includes an element for limited capability to work, or limited capability for work and work-related activity)

Apply for SMI discount

How to apply

  • using the apply button above, log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the Severley Mentally Impaired application form. 
  • once on your MyAccount homepage click on the "council tax information and forms" button (located on the left hand side of the page)
  • select the title "Reduction if you, or someone living with you, are severley mentally impaired" located underneath the heading - Apply for money off your council tax bill
  • complete the relevant questions on the form and submit
  • MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7. For information about MyAccount visit the find out more page.

You will need to provide:

  • your council tax reference number (if known)
  • the names of all adults living at the address
  • you can also upload any document(s) as evidence

What happens next

Once your application has been submitted and processed you will be notified of the outcome. Please note that the council tax team may need to contact you if they have any queries regarding your request.