If you are a full-time student you are exempt from council tax
You are considered a full-time student if:
- you are aged 18 or over and are at college, university or similar (including student nurses and foreign language assistants); and,
- your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.
What if I have a student living with me?
If there is only one household member (aged 18 or over) who isn't a student they are still counted for council tax but they get a 25% discount on their bill
What if everyone living at a property is a student?
You don't have to pay council tax. You will need to apply for this exemption.
Please note that the council tax exemption only applies for the duration of your course, so if your tenancy starts before your course, you will be responsible for paying the council tax between your tenancy start date and your course start date.
Likewise, if your tenancy ends after your course, you will be responsible for paying the council tax between your course end date and your tenancy end date.
How to apply
- using the apply button, log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the Student Discount application form
- once on your MyAccount homepage click on the "council tax information and forms" button (located on the left hand side of the page)
- select the title "Reduction if you are a student or have a student living with you" located underneath the heading - Apply for money off your council tax bill
- complete the relevant questions on the form and submit
- MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7. For information about MyAccount visit the find out more page
You will need to provide
- your council tax reference number (if known)
- the names of all adults living at the address
- details for all students including their name, the name of their university, college, etc, and a copy of their proof of student status, as well as their tenancy start date
What happens next
Once your application has been submitted and processed you will be notified of the outcome. Please note that the council tax team may need to contact you if they have any queries regarding your request.