Register a food business

Before starting a food business, you need to either register the premises you use or obtain approval

When do I need to register?

You must register every premises where food is stored, prepared, distributed or sold, including:

  • your home; and,
  • mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans

You must register at least 28 days before you start any food operations.

What if I don't register?

You may be fined, imprisoned for up to 2 years or both if you run a food business without registering.

You may also need premises approval

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products or produce sprouting seeds other than for direct sale to the consumer, your premises may need to be approved by us before you can undertake the activity.

What if I take over an existing food business?

You still have to register.

Further information

For guidance on starting up a new food business please go to:

If you have questions about registering, contact the Food & Safety Team.

How much does it cost?

Registration is free.

How do I register?

You will need to

Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7

  • complete the registration form

Register a new food business

What happens next?

Some details about your business will appear on our public register of food businesses and will also be provided to Trading Standards at KCC, who deal with food labelling and composition matters.

Food Standards Agency