Noisy neighbours

Common noise complaints

Most of the noise complaints we get are about:

  • loud music
  • large or frequent parties
  • noise levels after 11.00pm
  • DIY eg power tools, strimmers, lawn mowers
  • barking dogs
  • burglar alarms and car alarms

What we can't investigate

  • dogs barking only to stimuli eg people coming to the door
  • very short lived noise eg random bangs or banging doors
  • music during the day for periods of 3 hours or less
  • ministry of Defence operations (contact the Ministry of Defence)
  • everyday living noise eg children running around in a flat, children crying at night, alarm clocks, vacuuming
  • aircraft (contact the Civil Aviation Authority)
  • when the complaint is only due to the reporter working nights and wishing to sleep in the day
  • one off events eg birthday parties, emergency works
  • noise because of poor sound insulation
  • anonymous complaints

What you can do

Have a chat

Before you make an official complaint about noise, have a friendly chat with whoever's responsible first. They may not realise that they're disturbing you.

Research into noise issues shows that problems are most likely to be solved when people work out a solution between them. You'll find practical guidance of how to do this using the link below:

GOV.UK: How to resolve neighbour disputes

Take your own legal action

You don't need us in order to take legal action if you are bothered by noise nuisance, you can take action yourself.

We know it looks complicated, so we've created a step-by-step guide you can follow through from beginning to end.

Quite a few people have used this system over the years and have shown that it works.

Report it to us

If the above aren't possible, or you feel intimidated report it . 

You will need to:

  • Log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the form. MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7.

What information you will need to provide?

Give as much information as you can, for example:

  • the address the noise is coming from
  • the name of the person responsible for it
  • what the noise is like
  • when and how often it occurs

Report a noisy neighbour

What happens next?

After making your report, the case will be allocated to an officer who will initially look to resolve the matter informally. This may mean talking to both parties, setting noise levels where an officer is present at both properties to assess the level of noise that can be heard and for all parties to agree to the new levels set.

Formal action

We have a duty to deal with any noise we consider to be unreasonable:

  • we can take away audio equipment if the noise is serious and persistent
  • we can issue a noise abatement notice on the person responsible - if they don't comply they can be prosecuted

Car alarms and burglar alarms

If there is a contactable key holder known to us the alarm can be dealt with. However, if there is no known key holder then enforcement action may be required.

Provide us details of a contactable key holder in the event of your alarm going off.

You can apply and make payment using the the form below. Initially you will be asked to create a MyAccount (if you don't already have one) which will enable you to track the progress of your application.

Register your burglar alarm

We can have an alarm silenced by employing the services of either a vehicle alarms expert or an electrician.

A magistrate's warrant would be necessary to silence a house alarm when entry to the property is required, which would also require the services of a locksmith.

All reasonable expenses would be passed to the householder.