Environmental health team

Artificial light, for example from outdoor security lights, can cause a nuisance to individuals and even affect their health

What you can do

Have a chat

Before you make an official complaint about light pollution from a neighbour, have a friendly chat with them first. They may not realise that they're disturbing you. You could suggest they:

  • make sure the security light is pointing downwards
  • shade the light
  • use a less bright bulb - a 150-watt tungsten halogen lamp is enough for domestic security lighting

Report it to us

If this doesn't work, you can report the problem to us online:

Report a light problem

Alternatively call 01303 858660 or 01303 221888 out of office hours.

What information do I need to provide?

Tell us as much as you can about:

  • how the problem affects you
  • how significant the problem is eg how often it occurs, and how long it lasts

What we can do

If we decide the problem is causing a statutory nuisance:

  • we'll try to resolve the problem informally, by offering advice and guidance to those responsible
  • if that doesn't work, we'll serve an abatement notice - they can be fined up to £5,000 if they don't comply
Environmental health team
Civic Centre
Castle Hill Avenue
CT20 2QY
United Kingdom
01303 858660