Council tax reduction

Pay reduced amount of council tax or none at all, depending on your circumstances.

Who can apply?

You can apply for council tax reduction (also known as council tax support) if you get any of these benefits:

  • Tax Credits
  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • the 'Guaranteed Credit' part of Pension Credit, or;
  • if you are working and have low income or are retired and have low income

You must not have savings or capital over £16,000.

You can also use this form to apply for housing benefit at the same time

Apply for council tax reduction

How much will the bill be reduced by?

The reduction you get will depend on your circumstances, including:

  • your household income, including savings, pensions and your partner's income
  • your age
  • any children who live with you

If you (and your partner if you are couple) are of state pension age the amount of council tax reduction that you can receive is decided by national scheme. Further information about this can be found on the Citizen advice website

If you're of pensionable age, the highest possible reduction is 100%.

Council tax reduction does not affect single person's discount. For more information on how council tax reduction works, visit the council tax reduction scheme information page

Council tax reduction from 1 April 2024

If you are of working age, the amount of council tax reduction that you will receive will be based on the grid below which looks at you (and your partner's) income.

These changes do not affect people of state pension age.

CTR Income Percentages
Band Single Person 
Weekly income (£) 
Weekly income (£)
Household with 1 Child 
Weekly income (£) 
Household with 2 or more children
Weekly income (£) 
(1) 75%  discount* 0.00 to 141.00 0.00 to 200.00 0.00 to 240.00 0.00 to 337.00
(2) 55% discount 141.01 to 188.00 200.01 to 240.00 240.01 to 275.00 337.01 to 423.00
(3) 35% discount  188.01 to 236.00 240.01 to 275.00 257.01 to 337.00 423.01 to 521.00
(4) 22% discount  236.01 to 348.00 275.01 to 386.00 337.01 to 423.00 521.01 - 613.00

* If you are in receipt of relevant benefit (Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) or Income Support) you will receive 75% support.

Some incomes you receive do not count when working out your weekly income. They are: 

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Maintenance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pensions
  • Carers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance Support Components
  • Housing element from Universal Credit.

If you are working, we will ignore £25.00 of your earned income when working out your total award.

If you are disabled (in receipt of qualifying disability benefit) we will ignore £40.00 of your income when working out your total award.

 deduction will be taken from your award of £10.00 per week for each Non Dependant (someone who normally lives with you as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend) where relevant.

There will not be deduction taken for them if they are in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Related), Income Support, Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit), or Universal Credit if they have no earnings.


single person with one child who earns £270.00 per week and receives Tax Credits of £45.00 per week. They have total income of £315.00 per week. Because they work we take £25.00 from their earnings so their total income is £290.00. This would mean that they would receive 35% discount from their council tax bill in Band 3 for household with 1 child.

How to apply

  • click on the apply button above to apply for council tax reduction
  • complete the appropriate application form, making sure you have:
    • your council tax reference number (if known)
    • the names of all adults living at the address and their National Insurance numbers and employment details
    • details of any other income, for example from self-employment or pension
    • details of all bank, building society, and savings accounts including account details and amounts held

Submitting your evidence

Once you submit the online form, if you have included your email address you will be emailed list of any evidence required to process your application, which you can submit via the following form.

Submit your evidence

What happens next?

Once we receive your application, and all the required supporting information, you will be notified within 17 days of decision. If you're awarded reduction you'll get new council tax bill, showing the new amount you need to pay.

Appealing decision

You can appeal decision to not award council tax reduction if you think it's wrong. We will respond within two months.

Appeal council tax reduction decision

If we don't agree you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal who must receive your appeal within two months of us making our decision.

Visit GOV.UK: council tax appeals for further information on council tax appeals.

Change of circumstances

If you want to tell us something has changed on your current claim please complete our change of circumstances form. 

Report change of circumstances to your council tax reduction claim

Cancelling council tax reduction

If you need to cancel your council tax reduction claim complete the following form

Cancel your council tax reduction

Paying your council tax

Pay your council tax bill online or find out different ways to pay your bill

Pay your council tax bill online

Find out ways to pay your council tax

For more information from Kent County Council council tax information regarding council tax 

Financial support payment scheme for council tax

You may be able to get some extra help with your council tax

Financial support payment scheme for council tax