Single occupier discount on council tax

Who can apply?

If you live on your own or the people you live with don't count as adults for council tax you'll get 25% off your bill.

Council tax discounts will not be affected if you sponsor and host a Ukrainian household in your home.

To qualify for Single Occupier Discount (also known as Single Occupancy Discount ), you must be the only person who lives in your house who:

  • is over 18 years of age; and,
  • is not a full-time student.

If there are other people over 18 living with you who are full time students, or may be disregarded from council tax for other reasons, you can still claim a discount.

How to apply

  • click on the apply button and log into your MyAccount (or create an account if you don't already have one) to complete the Single Occupier Discount application form. 
  • once on your MyAccount homepage click on the "council tax information and forms" button (located on the left hand side of the page)
  • select "Single occupier discount" from the main screen located underneath the heading - Apply for money off your council tax bill
  • complete the relevant questions on the form and submit
  • MyAccount is an easier and quicker way to interact with us and is available 24/7. For information about MyAccount visit the find out more page.

When you complete the form you will need to provide: 

  • your council tax account number (you will find this on your bill)
  • if applicable, details of anyone who has recently stopped living with you, including where they have moved to
  • if applicable, proof of student status for any students over 18 living with you

Apply for Single Occupier Discount

What happens next?

We will normally notify you within ten working days if you have been successful in applying for a discount. If we require more information we will contact you. If a discount is awarded you will receive an adjusted council tax bill.

You must continue to pay your council tax at the full rate until you have been notified that your application is successful.

Appealing a decision

If you think our decision not to award Single Occupier Discount is wrong, you can appeal this decision and we will respond within two months.

Appeal a Single Occupier Discount decision

Visit GOV.UK: Tax Appeals for further information on council tax appeals.

Tell us about a change

You will need to notify us within 21 days if any of the following happen:

  • anyone living with you reaches their 18th birthday
  • anyone living with you finishes full-time education
  • anyone over 18 years old moves in with you, even if they are a full-time student
  • you move address

If you've just moved address, or will be moving soon, please visit the change of council tax address page to notify us

Cancel Single Occupier Discount

Failing to notify us of a change that might affect your discount may result in a £70 penalty. Please note that any discounts may be reviewed.