Your annual bill explained

What is council tax?

Council tax is property tax and does not pay directly for services provided by the council.

Financial information and the calculation of council tax

Folkestone & Hythe District Council collects council tax on behalf of the Kent Police and Crime Commissioner, the Kent and Medway Fire Rescue Authority, Kent County Council and the district, town and parish councils.

You can view financial information and charges for 2023/24 and previous years.

How much is the council tax for the current year

This will depend on where you live and the banding of your property.

What to do if you think you are in the wrong property band?

Properties are banded by the Valuation Office Agency and not the council. If you think you are in the wrong band you can find more information on the Valuation Office Agency's website.

Your bill explained

Get details of your bill by using MyAccount 

MyAccount is quick and easy to access your council services, including viewing your council tax statement or making council tax payment. 

Registering is simple and you can find all the information that you need in one place.  

Get your bill by email

Sign up to have your bill by email

Reducing the amount you pay

If you are on low income, Universal Credit or other benefits

You may be eligible for council tax reduction if this is not already shown on your bill.

Apply for council tax reduction

If you are the only person over 18 living at the property and it is your main home

You may be eligible for 25% single occupier discount.

Apply for single occupier discount

If you are no longer the only person over 18 or any children in the property are now 18

You are no longer eligible for the single occupier discount and must apply to cancel the discount

Cancel single occupier discount

Other discounts and exemptions

Other discounts are available if you are over 18 and child benefit is still in payment for you; if you are carer; if you are severely mentally impaired or student. 

If you are disabled

If you use wheelchair in the property, or have second bathroom or room at the property that is essential for your needs you may be entitled to reduction if this is not already shown on your bill.

The bill shows credit from previous year

The credit will have been used to reduce the instalments shown on your bill.

You may apply for the credit to be refunded but this will increase the instalments and revised bill will be issued.

The bill shows you owe arrears from previous year

In most cases you can make an arrangement to pay the arrears with the instalments due for the new financial year.

You can apply for an arrangement. Please give details of the amount you want to pay and provide contact telephone number.

Ways to pay

There is information about different ways to pay your council tax

Further financial support to reduce your council tax

The council operates financial support payment scheme. If, after paying your essential day-to-day expenses, you are suffering extreme financial hardship you can apply for help

There may be other debts that you need help and advice with. If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is also free and independent debt advice available. The government sponsored Money Advice Service can help you find support.